A civilian out after dark needs a flashlight to see where they’re going, and in some cases, as a handy weapon against assault , but for those in law enforcement, having a powerful and durable tactical flashlight could actually save their life on a daily basis. These types of torches don’t just need to be strong to help protect police officers, they need the right features and accessories so these men and women can perform all aspects of their duties, from writing tickets to chasing down criminals. And since skimping on these can literally cost them their lives, or those of the civilians they are protecting, police officers take their flashlights very seriously, and only use the top rated flashlights available. Dont forget that in order to find the best, you will need to check out the best tactical flashlight for the money.
The following features are the most important for those in law enforcement, so they can do their jobs safely and effectively.
- Size – Unlike a civilian tactical light, a compact one may be too small for a police officer, especially if it will be used to fend off an attacker , but a large model will be too bulky and heavy to carry around all night, especially if you need two hands to write out a ticket. A medium sized light is best, because it can be used as an effective weapon, while still remaining comfortable to carry throughout a long night shift.
- Durability – A flashlight that can crack under the slightest pressure is useless in any situation. Dangerous ones that you may encounter while in uniform require a quality flashlight that will withstand a beating, whether using it to subdue a criminal or breaking a window to enter a building. An excellent tactical flashlight uses hard-anodized aluminum, which is extremely durable, lightweight, and impervious to rust. An LED bulb should also be included, as it won’t break even with the roughest use. Be sure find one with a textured grip, so you can hold it tight in any situation.
- Lumen levels – You never want to chase someone through a dark alley with a dim light, so having a light with a high lumen level is the best choice in those situations. Of course, reading licenses and writing up tickets will blind you if your flashlight is too powerful. That’s why having one with multiple light levels is the best option, so you have the proper brightness when you need it. Also, a strobe is a great feature to have, for emergency situations where you may need to disorient suspects.
- Batteries – AA and AAA batteries are easy to find and use, but because they are not as powerful and can actually dim your light levels, they may not be the best option for a tactical police flashlight. CR123A batteries are common in tactical torches, but these are disposable, and despite the high power they have, are not the most convenient. The best choice for police officers is an 18650 rechargeable battery. It is powerful, will not need to be changed, and some types can be recharged without even removing them from the flashlight. These types include a wall charger, and some even come with a USB charger as well, so your light can be charged on the go.
Aside from the necessary features of these flashlights, there are also a few optional accessories that could come in handy for those in law enforcement.
- Gun mounts – Though not necessary, a gun mount is a handy accessory to have, because then you still have a free hand if you need it. And because the mounted flashlight can be removed as needed, you can keep the flashlight on your holster or in your car during the day, and mount it whenever the need arises once the sun goes down.
- Lenses and diffusers – Different lenses have different purposes, with black lenses keeping you hidden, red as a UV light, and blue for searching out blood spatters. A diffuser is handy to spread out your light, so you can see everything around you rather than just what’s directly ahead. Though these are not necessarily needed for all situations, they can certainly come in handy.
Law enforcement is a dangerous enough job without those protecting us being left in the dark. Having a proper tactical flashlight can keep those brave men and women out of harm, and keep them serving and protecting for years to come.